Pages

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Bikini Cake


So lately, the last several years really I've had the want I guess you could say to create :) So here is the fun Bikini Cake I made

This cake was for my step Dad's birthday. My mother called me at 11o'clock and asked me to make this cake for her because her oven wasn't working.



This was my first Bikini Cake. I think the best part was trying to explain to my kids what I was doing :) My son just didn't understand why I was making a girl cake for a boy.
But I'm really proud of it "she" turned out better than I thought.
The "boobies" were made out of Jello.
The comment was they felt life like....
So the base was just made with 2 13x9 cakes and then I carved them to the shape.
After that I did what I've heard called a dirty frost and stuck it in the freezer while I made my Fondant.
I like to use Marshmallow Fondant
Ingredients:
  • 16 ounces white mini-marshmallows (use a good quality brand)
  • 2 to 5 tablespoons water
  • 2 pounds powdered sugar (use a new unopened bag for better results)
  • 1/2 cup shortening (you will be digging into it so place in a very easily accessed bowl)


Directions:
First I use a microwaveable bowl and coat the inside with shortening this will make it easier to transfer. Add marshmallows and 2 tablespoons of water to the bowl. Then microwave for 30 seconds, open microwave and stir, back in microwave for 30 seconds more, open microwave and stir again, and continue doing this until melted. It usually takes about 1-2 minutes.

At this point I then transfer the marshmallows into my kitchen-aid mixer bowl. Then slowly start adding the powdered sugar in to the mixture. I usually can mix in 1/2 to 3/4 of the bag with the mixer.

Then you want to dump about a 1/2 cup to a cup of the powered sugar on to the counter and then place the ball of fondant on top and Now grease your hands GENEROUSLY (palms, backs, and in between fingers).
Start kneading like you would bread dough.
If the mix is tearing easily, it is to dry, so add greasing your hands will help with this. when you are done you want a firm smooth elastic ball so that it will stretch without tearing when you apply it to the cake.
To add color to the fondant I use Wilton cake coloring and just keep kneading till it's well mixed.
When rolling the fondant I have found that rolling it on to a piece of plastic wrap helps when transferring it to the cake. (Just my opinion :) Next time I make fondant I will try to take step by step pictures for my blog.


For the "boobies" I just two small glass bowls. Sprayed them will with oil.
and I used the recipe from here as a guide.
Except I use twice the jello in hopes that it would set firmer. This was what I ended up doing.
1 cup boiling water
2 pkg. (4-serving size)JELL-O Gelatin, any flavor
1 cup cold water
1-1/2 cups (1/2 of an 8-oz. tub) thawed COOL WHIP Whipped Topping
Stir boiling water into gelatin in medium bowl at least 2 minutes until completely dissolved. Stir in cold water. Refrigerate 1 hour 15 minutes or until slightly thickened (consistency of unbeaten egg whites). Gently stir in whipped topping. Pour into 4-cup mold or individual molds sprayed with cooking spray.
Refrigerate 4 hours or until firm.

No comments:

Post a Comment